Priorat Experience: Wine, History & Olive Oil
Visit one of the two only DOQ (Qualified Designation of Origin) regions of Spain. There you will be in two special properties located within the Priorat region, a small mountainous area located in the heart of the province of Tarragona. The geography of this area makes the vineyards to be cultivated on slopes so it is necessary to build terraces, making this a very unique landscape. As a result of the particular soil and climate, the vines are weak and bring poor harvests, with very low grape yields. This gives the wines of this area a very unique personality. Most experts of the country and from around the world can identify a Priorat wine immediately on opening the bottle. This region is not only well-known for its wines but also for its high-quality olive oil. You will also learn about how they process this so-called “Liquid Gold” and taste some of the best world award-winning olive oils.
After becoming “experts” in Olive Oil, you will visit next door cellar. The oldest cellar in the area that has adapted to the new times, preserving the essence of the first wines that were produced by the monks of Scala Dei, the Carthusian Monastery of Santa Maria de Scala dei.
A monastery founded by French monks from Provence, who established here the first charter-house on the Iberian peninsula. They chose one of the most beautiful places to site the monastery, at the foothills of the Montsant mountain range, where a shepherd had dreamt of angels coming down from the sky on a ladder resting on a tall pine tree. Once you’ve visited the cellar and the facilities and learn about their winemaking techniques, you will have the chance to taste a selection of Scala Dei wines. To round off this day we will take you our favorite cute & charming winery in Gratallops. There you will have the chance to visit the cellar, learn insider secrets and, of course, taste their great wines while pairing them with the different dishes during the delicious meal.
What will you do?
We will pick you up at 08:00 am and will drive South for 2 hours in our comfortable car or minivan. Once there, you’ll have a coffee break and then visit the ancient olive oil mill & shop where you will do the tasting with some local snack. Afterwards, at 12:00 pm you will visit the oldest cellar in the area and taste their wines until 13:30 pm. Then we’ll drive for 30 minutes to the last winery where you will have a great meal with wine pairing, enjoying local “slow food” and “slow life”. At around 16:30 pm we’ll head back to Barcelona and should arrive there at around 18:30 pm (depending on traffic conditions)
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- Hotel pick up and drop off
- Transport in a comfortable car or minivan
- Awesome driver-guide
- Breakfast snack
- Extra-virgin olive oil tasting (3 different oils)
- Visit an ancient olive oil mill and learn about olive oil making
- Visit to two different and beautiful wineries
- Tasting of their great Priorat wines
- Three-course lunch with great wine-pairing for each dish (up to 4 wines)
- Entrance tickets
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Tips (always graciously accepted)
- Any other drinks or snacks not mentioned above
Oldest wine cellar in the area
Old olive oil mill & shop
Winery with restaurant (wine pairing)
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum drinking age is 18